I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Pureeing

I got a chance this weekend to go through the books I got for Alex on pureeing food. I went through all of the recipes and decided on what I wanted to make for the week and went to the grocery store and got everything I needed to get started. At 9:30 this morning I started pureeing all the fresh fruit and vegetables I was going to need for the week. The premise of the book is pretty much how to puree fruits and vegetables and disguise them in healthier recipes of every day foods so that kids eat healthier. Except for the two hours I spent at Zach's first Fall Ball T-ball game, I literally spent the entire day in the kitchen. I now have a nice stock of purred carrots, spinach, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, broccoli, avocado, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries.





I made frozen yogurt bars with blackberries, raspberries and blueberries, and also made brownies from scratch. The brownies are deceptive since they have carrots and spinach in them - sounds gross, I thought - but Zach has gotten to be such a picky eater that if it's not shaped like a chicken nugget or resembles any sort of vegetable, he's not eating. So I thought that if I could get Zach to eat healthier as well I could incorporate pureeing into his diet too. I thought if he actually eats these brownies, then spending the whole day in the kitchen would be such an added bonus.

He loved them!!!



Hee hee...after torturing him with green beans at dinner, he got two more servings of vegetables and didn't even know it!!!



Tomorrow for breakfast Alex will have two waffles with yogurt and fruit and for lunch she's having baked chicken, fresh green beans and mashed potatoes. It makes me feel so good knowing that all of the food she (and now hopefully Zach) is getting is all fresh and I know exactly what's going into all of her meals.

Today Zach started Fall Ball T-Ball. He was so excited to get to the game. He got up to bat twice and he nailed the ball both times on his first hit and hustled to first base - he did great! He got to play catcher for one inning too. Aaron's also an assistant coach on his team and he thinks that's just "totally awesome"! I'm glad he's found something that he really enjoys, even if he is starting to talk about playing football...uggh!











2 comments:

Christy said...

Wow! I so need to do that - puree a week's worth at a time. It is SO time consuming to do just one meal. But, Harlie eats so little at a time that I pour the leftovers into an ice cube tray and freeze them that way.

Love the brownies! Too funny. And I'm signing up Murphy for something soon. He really needs to do something like that!

Oh, and I totally forgot about your mat. I'll bring it by soon, I promise!

Have a great day!

Katie said...

I love the sneaky brownies... i got jessica seinfeld's cook book a while ago to learn to hide the veggies, but i can't hide them from myself when i make the food. someone needs to cook out of that cook book for me :-) Hope the school year is still going well for Allie Bean and Zach