I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Monday, September 28, 2009

In The Hospital

Only this time it wasn't Alex...it was Zach.



I have to say the quick turn of events truly scared me. I've been pretty well prepped in crisis modes with Alex and LOTS of hospitalizations with her. But to experience it with my "typical" kid was pretty scary. And it literally came out of no where. Wednesday night he started with some sniffles, nothing major. He got up Thursday and went to school. He was a little emotional going into school and wanted to go back home - but that was chalked up to the "kissing episode" in my last post. Apparently when the little girl kissed him on the playground, some of the kids were teasing Zach about it and he was NOT happy about that. But by 12:45, the school clinic was calling me that Zach was there and that he had a pretty serious, uncontrollable cough. I left work and went and picked him up. We got home and I checked his pulse ox (it's a machine that measures how much oxygen is getting to your lungs) and started a breathing treatment.

He kept saying that he had a headache and that he wanted something cool for his head...


At 8 o'clock he went to bed as usual. At 11:15, he was coughing pretty bad and I went in to his room to give him some water and put his sheets back on him - only he cried and said that the sheets were hurting him. His breathing was pretty labored so I went and started another breathing treatment. Aaron and I stayed with him in his room and by 1:00AM his breathing was getting worse, his lips were turning blue and he had a temp of 103.5. He said he couldn't breathe and I have to say I freaked - I told Aaron I was calling 911, but Aaron calmed me down and said he was going to drive him to the ER. He called ahead and one of his buddies was working off duty up there so by the time they arrived a room was already waiting for them. The nurse said it was a really good thing we brought him in, his pulse ox was down to 91 and he had asthma induced pneumonia and he was admitted 45 minutes later.






He was so brave - didn't even cry when he got his IV put in. He stayed in the hospital one night and came home on steroids and anti-biotics. I took him to the pediatrician today and he's on the mend. What a week - it started with Aaron and ended with Zach. I think I got myself so run down that I came down with something myself. I never even got out of bed yesterday - I don't know if I've ever stayed in bed an entire day. But I slept A LOT, so I obviously needed it!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Geez! Are you feeling any better today? And how's Zach?