I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Catching Up!

Has it really been 10 days since my last post?!? Where does the time go?!?

Second week of school and all is good! Zachary LOVES kindergarten and comes home with so many stories - it's quite comical. Today he told me a little girl kissed him on the playground but she was NOT his girlfriend.

Alex has had a great two weeks. It's really quite obvious that she loves to go to school. And the bus ride just makes her day. She has a new bus driver and bus aide this year and they are WONDERFUL. They love that she squeals and is excited for the whole bus ride (of course, I'm sure they've invested in some ear plugs at this point!)


The other day Zach was laying on the floor with Alex and she rolled over, put her arm around him and 'kissed' him on the cheek. It was such a touching thing to witness and Zach got so excited he jumped up and said "Mom, DID YOU SEE THAT? She kissed me like a real Sissy!!" So that was heartbreakingly bitter sweet.





It's so nice to see them forming such a sweet bond. Zach is very attentive to her and she loves to watch whatever he's doing. She laughs at him when he's being goofy and loves to reach out and grab him when he's not paying attention to her.





I cannot believe how big she is getting! It's really exciting to see how her obvious awareness to what's going on around her has evolved over the summer. Yesterday at therapy she was in her walker and Shannon told her, "You just have to get around this corner Allie Bean and you're all done"...well damn if Alex didn't crane her neck around the corner to see how much farther she actually had to go! And just today I had her prop sitting (she did TERRIBLE with sitting at therapy yesterday!) and we were playing with her favorite YMCA Elmo. It stopped and I said "Make it go Alex" and she reached out and grabbed Elmo's hand (you have to squeeze his hand to get him to sing). Then she grabbed him by the head and pulled him towards her and I said "give Elmo a kiss Sissy" and she opened her mouth really big and pulled him towards her!

She had a follow up neurology appointment this week and we discussed either changing one of the meds she's currently on (Tenex, which helps with her behavior and manic spells). Without going into too much detail, we talked about putting her on Risperdal, but after talking about it and doing some research, I'm just not comfortable with that right now. Basically all I really want to try and control is her self stimulating behavior, which is the constant chewing on her fingers and the hair pulling, which honestly she really only does when she's very excited. So for now, I'm going to split her dose and give it to her twice a day and see if that helps any. It's such a tedious balancing act when you're dealing with these types of meds.

One thing I'm MOST excited about is that she is eating so well and getting in all of her caloric needs during the day that we have completely stopped her nighttime feedings...how awesome is that?!? Of course if there are days she doesn't eat as well we'll supplement with a night feeding, but it's been almost two full weeks without a night feed! I'm just beside myself about that! The only downside is that I'm literally spending two hours a night in the kitchen blending the three meals she'll need for the next day and preparing Zach's lunch too. I'm going to have to come up with a better system.

Three quick funny Zach quotes from this week that just made me laugh out loud...

He got up the other morning by himself and came in the bathroom while I was blow drying my hair. He gave me a kiss good morning and I asked him if he needed to go potty to which he replied..."no, I just came in here to see your beautiful face"...seriously?!?

Last week he came home with his library book from school. We read it three times in a row and then he asked me to read it again and I said no, three times was enough to which he replied "why not, it's truly educational"...what?!?


Sunday night I told him it was time for bed because he had school the next day and he said "what, only two days off? When did that happen?!?" Mmm...get used to it buddy, that's how it's going to be for the rest of your life!!!


His first homework assignment:




Very proud of how he can now write his name in upper and lower cases!!



Hopefully it wont be another 10 days before I'm back...having two kids in two different schools is a lot harder than I thought it would be!

1 comment:

Katie said...

one day Zach is going to make some VERY lucky lady quite happy. He is too much!!! Allie Bean is looking adorable as usual in all these pics