I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Woodrum Family

Sometimes I can't blog for a week and today there's two posts in one day!

It might be that I sound like a broken record, but I've said on numerous occasions that Aaron and I have been blessed to have met some of the best people in our lives because of Alex. The Woodrums are pretty high on that list. Dara and I met a little over four years ago online on an Angelman Syndrome Forum that is global, only to find out that we lived miles apart. Dara and Jerry have four girls, and their two youngest girls, Jule and Jenna, both have Angelman Syndrome.

We met in person and hit it off immediately. They have become our best friends. We have gone on several trips together and have spent countless hours at each others homes. Jerry is probably one of the kindest men I know who will do anything for anyone, and never expect a thing in return. Dara is probably the most knowledgeable, even tempered (I don't think I've ever seen her angry or frazzled!), best listener and friend. We also share the same love for wine! :) Jule, who is 8, and Alex are 'best friends'. Whenever they see each other, Jule gets as close to Alex as she can and the two of them just stare at each other, make noises back and forth to each other and just laugh and laugh. Having two Angels is hectic beyond words, but they always have a smile on their face, and they are always there for you when you need them.

Below is their video from the Angelman Syndrome Awareness walk we did in May. The video was too beautiful not to share. Raising children with this syndrome can be so challenging, but this video truly captures the love and joy that they bring into our lives and all those that meet them.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

LOVE THE VIDEO!! I can honestly say that being there was such a moving experience. To see such wonderful family and friends come out to support their angels was beautiful. It was an unforgettable day. Just like you and Aaron, Dara and Jerry really and truly are just amazing, caring people & their love for their children shines through them both.

Dara and Jerry said...

You are so sweet. I will come and read this post on the days that are pushing me over the edge just a little (or a lot). You come across many friends in your life, some fit in your life for a certain amount of time according to the age or lifestyle you may share then others you come across and know that you will be friends for life. We are lucky to have found that in each other. You guys are amazing and wonderful and quite funny and entertaining and I just LOVE those kids of yours!!

Dara