I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A vent - and more therapy

First my vent! Back in DECEMBER Alex was approved for a laptop and some adaptive software. I've been waiting and waiting thinking any day now it's going to arrive. I finally decided to call the company that was working with the insurance company to order it to find out if she had a tracking number or something since it hadn't arrived yet. I was so not prepared for her to tell me how busy she's been and she still hasn't even ordered it yet. Oh I was SO mad. Four months the paperwork has been sitting on her desk - FOUR months! She proceeds to tell me that she should be getting to it by the end of the week. I think I'll try that with my boss on the next project he gives me and see how far that gets me. UGGH!

Ok, on to therapy...I guess Tuesday's are my day to post lately- and probably because Tuesday is therapy day and has become the highlight of my week!

Today we started therapy with Alex riding a bike!! Again, if you watch, she's doing all the pedaling...Shannon is just holding her hands to keep her hands on the handle bars but is not pushing the bike!! I can't believe how much progress she's making!

After bike riding she was hooked up to a light gate to try and get her to crawl. She really isn't doing too well with that because she wants to extend her legs backwards instead of forward, but I wanted to post the video because you can see just how hard she (and Shannon and Sandra!) has to work and how great Shannon is at pushing her.

After bike riding and crawling she still had the stamina to walk in her walker again! She was walking in the hallway rather than a room this week, so the angle was harder to video, but you can still how she's still moving her feet on her own!

One more thing - Alex's sleep has been terrible the past few months. There's always been quite a bit of talk on the Angelman listserve that I belong to about Melatonin and how it really helps the kids stay asleep (Alex gets a sleeping pill at night to help her fall asleep, but lately it doesn't keep her asleep). Last night she woke up 4 times and she has happy "manic attacks" but screams so loud she wakes the whole house up. So I went to the Vitamin Shop today and bought the Melatonin. I'm really nervous about adding something else to her night time meds so I gave her just 1ML tonight. Within 10 minutes she was out like a light and when I went in to disconnect her feeding she was sleeping really soundly. We'll see how she does throughout the night!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Needless to say, I'm digging the videos. She's doing great! But I have to know how last night went - did she sleep through the night?

Donna said...

She slept like a rock and didn't wake up until 6:45 this morning!!! Now, could she have been completely exhausted from all that therapy? Only tonight will tell! How is Harlie feeling today?