I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Therapies and Zach...

Yesterday was our last Speech Therapy appointment with Beth at Physio Therapy, but I am THRILLED to report that Beth is going to be working PRN at Children's Hospital and we get to KEEP her as Alex's ST!!! YEAH! I can't imagine therapy without Beth, I know Alex truly connects with her and even though we will be on an every other week rotation, I'm just happy we'll still have her - so at this point we will take what we can get! I started making Alex's blenderized food this week and she LOVES it. Basically I'm having to start introducing foods like you would to an infant to make sure she doesn't have any food allergies, so this week is waffles and fruit. I blenderize two waffles, two tablespoons of butter, 1/4 cup of syrup and a can of mixed fruit - it really smells awesome (Aaron even asked if he could taste it!) and Alex really likes it (compared to baby food though, that doesn't seem to hard to fathom, does it?!?)

Alex has been sleeping TERRIBLE the last two weeks (in spite of the fact that she gets a half a sleeping pill every night). I don't know if she's coming down with something or if it's her teeth. She's lost TEN teeth already and she has three permanent teeth that are working their way in right now. Last night she was up at 2, 3:30, 4:00, and 5:30. Not crying though, but screaming and laughing...I really think she's cognitively realizing that if I'm really loud, someone will come see me. I tried not to go in her room because I don't want to condone that kind of behavior! But when she realized the yelling and screaming wasn't working, she starting banging her leg into the side of her bed until I finally went in...and when I do, she giggles and laughs at me like, well it took you long enough! Because of the lack of sleep, and only a 45 minute nap at school I thought Physical Therapy was going to be a nightmare today - but she did awesome! Shannon had her on all fours and for the first time in her life, she was in a crawling position. Shannon facilitated her legs while Sandra helped with her arms and I will tell you that they were both physically sweating (Sandra has her own story to tell)! After that they put her in what I can only describe as a forward facing walker and she took steps and really did great!

Zach doesn't really get much blog time, but I have to post these pictures of him. Later in life he is surely going to hate that his mother loves to take pictures! But he is truly a character. He is my total joy, and is such comic relief around here. He LOVES to dress up, and he loves to emulate whatever he's doing. If he's watching a Thomas DVD, he has to have all his trains - dinosaur movie, all his dinosaurs, Toy Story, his Buzz Light Year and Woody, etc. The other day we went on our "date" (but he insisted I didn't tell people it was a date...seriously, at four he's already embarrassed to be on a date with his mom!) We went to an inflatable jumping arena, out to lunch, went out for ice cream and then went to Target. At Target he found a Mickie Mouse Three Musketeer move that he "had to have". Within two days he had literally watched the movie over twenty times. This weekend while we were away, he was pretty much dressed in his self made Musketeer costume the entire time we were gone. He told my mother that he was going to be a Musketeer when he grew up, Mom broke it to him that there are no Musketeers and it really wasn't a job option for him! (He hasn't watched the movie since!) :) I wish my camera was time stamped, because in the course of two days, here are all of his costume changes!



A store bought pirate costume


His "home made" pirate costume

A fireman...


His home made Musketeer costume


His home made Musketeer costume after he insisted he needed gloves to complete the outfit!


A police man...


And perhaps Daddy let's him watch too much Cops on Saturday night?!? :)

1 comment:

Christy said...

Donna, LOVE the pictures! The last one made me laugh out loud! And you get to keep Beth?! That's awesome. I miss her already. I really hope that we get to see her again at some point. We have so much to catch up on - let's get together soon!