I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Doing Better

I know it's only Tuesday but so far we are having a better week. Zach is better and back to his happy, lovable self. While I'm still struggling with Alex, the last two days have been good and have lifted my spirits some. Yesterday we opted to forgo her afternoon feeding for the first time ever and just feed her by mouth - a goal we have literally been working on for six years. She ate two whole jars of baby food in one sitting, I gave her the necessary water through her g-tube and then fed her another jar of food two hours later while we ate dinner as a family and she did awesome. She didn't appear hungry at all so I'm really thinking feeding her a blenderized diet is going to be obtainable in our near future and that thrills me. Today she had physical therapy and despite waking up a half a dozen times last night and only taking a 20 minute nap at school (she normally sleeps over an hour at school), she did AMAZING. She was weight bearing and stabilizing her trunk very well and she actually took a few great steps in her walker.
Thank you to all of my wonderful friends and family for being so supportive.

2 comments:

Christy said...

WOW! Sounds like you're making some great progress! It seems like just a little while ago she was only eating a half a jar! Go Alex!!!

Anonymous said...

My dear friend, Donna. First let me tell you how much I LOVE Allie Bean's new "do"!!! She is precious!! Next I want to tell you how proud I am of you. You are so very special and you WILL get through each day - good or bad-- because of who you are. Ilove you and miss you and am so sorry I do not get to see you every day for a little venting and hugging! please know that i am sending you my love and support (and a hug of course) every day. Love, Cheryl