I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Angels Umong Us

You may or not know the history behind Alex's full name...her middle name is Elizabeth, given to her for a good friend of mine, Elizabeth McJunkins who passed away when I was three months pregnant with Alex. When we found out she was a girl, I knew I wanted to honor Beth by giving Alex her name.

This past week was kind of a tough one and I got caught up in all I had to do and struggling to fit everything in between dr. appointments, therapy appointments, obligations and life in general. On Friday as I sat down to go through the mail there was an envelope addressed to Alex, and inside was a letter to me from Beth's mom. The letter stated that their family had decided this year not to exchange Christmas presents and to take the money they would have spent to adopt Alex as their angel, in memory of Beth. I cannot put into words all of the emotions I had going on reading the letter. I cried for Beth, I cried for her family, I cried for Alex and I cried because I was truly, truly touched beyond words by their kindness. As hard as it is to care for Alex, God has blessed us time and time again, but I sometimes loose sight of that.

So to the McJunkins, Howard and Herzwurm families, thank you. Thank you for your incredible generosity and thank you so much for reminding me that there really are angels among us.




1 comment:

Christy said...

Donna,

Very well-put! You are so right. And such a great time of year to be reminded of what's really important. How incredibly thoughtful of them!

I hope all is well!
~Christy