I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Where did the week go?!?

I can't believe a week has gone by already! Obviously things in the Hayes house are busy! Alex is continuing to improve with her eating and using her communication switches. Yesterday we worked with using a switch that's connected to a dancing duck...the way she responds and laughs at the toys is so fun to watch! We've just ordered new switches and toys for her to use and will start working with using a switch to activate the computer at home - I'm really looking forward to that. It's really hard to find things to do with her that are totally engaging for her, but all of the interest she's showing in using her switches is very promising for us.
Yesterday was a crazy day - Zach had no school so he came to work for a 1/2 day with me (not a real productive work day for me...hope my boss doesn't read my blog!) and then I had to take Alex to the dr. when I got home...while we were at the doctor Aaron got into an accident (he's fine, but he was stopped at a stop sign and was rear-ended by a kid doing 40 miles an hour). Sunday after church we went back to my parent's house as usual for brunch (I think it's Aaron's favorite part of Sunday!) and Alex was not in a good mood, her coloring was almost green and she was having some stomach issues. When Audretta called yesterday to give me the update from her day at school she said Alex just wasn't herself and cried on and off throughout the day. I don't know why I bothered to waste 2 hours to take her to the dr., because of course, it's obviously something viral. I love how that's the standard answer instead of "we just don't have a clue!" It's a running joke since they can't figure out anything with Alex that she's had a virus since birth. :)
Probably not very interesting for anyone, but very exciting for me is that when my parents kept the kids for us while we were in Vegas, they started talking about how horrible Alex's onesies are...let's face it, you can only stretch and X-Large onesie so far when she's 45 pounds and over 3 1/2 feet tall! But I hate not having one on her with her feeding tub - I'm always afraid it's going to get caught on something or she's going to pull at it. So my dad came up with an awesome idea to convert dancing leotards into onesies...you go dad! So my mom walked her feet off at the mall searching for short sleeved leotards and then brought them to a seamstress who cut them and put snaps in the bottom...and viola, we now have fabulous onesies that actually fit and aren't ripped!!! Thanks mom and dad! :)
Because I can't post and not add pictures, here are some pictures from the weekend!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Grandma and Granddad P! And here's to Miss P feeling better soon - darn those nasty viruses. . .