I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Today we celebrated our nine year wedding anniversary. I can definitely say that nine years ago as we danced and didn't have a care in the world that we never could have imagined that our journey together would lead us where it has. In a statistical world, we shouldn't be together - 70% of marriages end in divorce when a spouse has the job that Aaron does, and over 83% of marriages end in divorce when there is a special needs child involved. But we defy the odds and we continue, every day, to make our marriage work. We certainly have our bad days, sometimes it seems like the bad days want to outweigh the good, and there are days when he gets under my skin and I under his...but at the end of the day, we circle back to what is important - our commitment to each other, and our commitment to our family. We have trust, we have faith, we have hope and we have love. And as my mother likes to teach Zachary, "and the greatest is love". I can't imagine being on this journey without Aaron. He is the best father, dedicated to his children, morally committed to what is right in their upbringing, and even when I'm at my worst, committed to making me happy (and I'm not too bad at doing the same for him!) I look forward to continuing our journey for another nine years, and another nine after that, and another nine after that...

No comments: