I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Feeling Horrible

I feel so bad tonight. Alex was having her tube feeding while sitting in her Wombat Chair (glorified high chair)...she had only slept for 15 minutes at school today because she's coming down with a cold and every time she fell asleep she woke herself up coughing. So around 5:45 she was looking completely miserable and I decided to take her out of her chair to put her PJ's on and get her comfortable. I made sure I cleared the line from her chair and then took her lap belt and shoulder straps off. What I didn't realize was that the straps blocked the line again so when I went to lift her from the chair, there was no give in her feeding line and the g-tube in her stomach became half dislodged. Not only did I freak out (I DON'T do well with anything going wrong with her feeding tube, at all...that's Daddy's gig), but she started screaming. Of course it was an accident, but I just feel so bad. I gave her Motrin, but the whole time I was laying with her while she was going to sleep she just kept moaning and rubbing her poor stomach. The look on her face screamed to me "Mommy what did you just do?!?" I know she doesn't understand it was an accident so I just feel horrible.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Oh Donna! I am so with you on this one. Harlie's tube always worries me, too. One time Tom yanked her up from the floor and was stepping on her tube and didn't know it. My stomach hurt for a while after that (not to mention Harlie's!) The good thing is that Alex will forgive you. And she knows what a great mom you are - so try not to worry about that!

Thinking of you,
Christy